When you decide to take the plunge to buy your first home, it’s hard to know where to start. As a first time home buyer, you have a lot to think about, and choosing from the many Taunton mortgage lenders to find the right lender for you is an important first step.
Choosing your mortgage lender is the first of many decisions you will make during the home buying process. Before you begin seriously looking at homes, you need to get prequalified for a mortgage so you know the price range you can afford and qualify for financing for. By choosing a reliable mortgage lender, you can get this process started. So, how do you know if a mortgage lender is reliable and qualified?
Here’s what to look for in a mortgage lender:
- They are attentive and happy to answer your questions. As a first time home buyer, there is a lot to consider and a lot that you probably don’t know yet. Your mortgage lender should be aware of that and should be happy and available to answer any and all questions you have throughout the process. They should take time to understand your personal situation to be able to give you the right answers and help you find the right mortgage.
- They give truthful responses. Not only do you want your mortgage lender to answer your questions, you also want them to be truthful. They shouldn’t be saying only what they think you want to hear in order to try to secure your business. They should help you explore all options to find what works for you.
- They recommend that you get prequalified to show sellers you’re serious. Getting prequalified is really important, not only so you know which houses you can afford, but also so that sellers take you seriously. It shows them that you really are ready to buy and that you will be able to afford the home.
- They explain all products and rates. Make sure they are willing to educate you on the lending process. There is a lot to understand when getting your first mortgage, and the learning curve is steep. Your mortgage lender should take the time to explain each part of the lending process to you in a way that you understand.
- They want to help you get a mortgage that actually fits your budget. It is often not wise to get a mortgage at the top of the range you are approved for because you may struggle to make your monthly payments. A trusted mortgage lender should understand and explain this to you to match you with a monthly payment you can afford.
It’s also important that you like and trust your mortgage lender, because you will be communicating with them frequently while you are buying your home. These 5 suggestions are great starting guidelines to help you find the right lender from all of the Taunton mortgage lenders. If you’re looking to start the home buying process and speak to a reliable lender, request an appointment today!